Books I have currently read and are up for review:

  • Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
  • Defy by Sara B. Larson
  • Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick
  • Kid Presidents by David Stabler
  • The List by Siobhan Vivian
  • SAGA VOL. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
  • Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
  • Invisible Monsters REMIX by Chuck Palahniuk
  • Scary Book Volume 1: Reflections by Kazuo Umezu
  • Crank by Ellen Hopkins
  • Everbound by Brodi Ashton
  • Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
  • Pretty Girl-13 by Liz Coley
  • In The After by Demitria Lunetta
  • Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Follow me on BlogLovin!

Popular Posts

Book Reviews

This is where book reviews will be linked.

Reisa Reads News & Updates

Update Blogs and Vlogs, news about /r/bookies and random updates!

Reisa Rants

My policies

Insert random policies pages.
Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, August 31, 2014
Title: Landline 
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Series: No.
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 310
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Age Range:  17+
Genre: Marketed as: Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Chick Lit
Description on Goodreads:

Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.

Maybe that was always beside the point.

Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her.

When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.

That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . .

Is that what she’s supposed to do?

Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?

Review:
Coming into this book, the only things that I knew (and wanted to know) was that it was an adult book by one of my favorite authors, it had a magic phone and some drama. That's all I knew. Boy was I right and wrong! Not more than 15 pages in, I was sucked into this world I could not be released. It had it's grasp on me so tight I had to cry out of hunger or sleep to stop... - and sometimes it still won. Georgie McCool (with the most epic name ever) is simply, a workaholic. She is a full time writer for a show she and her best friend have been working on for close to 14 year. She lives pretty much day to day for her job, her best friend, her daughters and her husband... in that order.

 That's the problem. She knows she has her priorties kind of messed up, but she is about to hit the deal of a life time. Leaving the show she started with, and writing for her, her best friend's, and a fellow friend writers new show! Just as she strikes the deal, its close to Christmas, meaning they are leaving for Neal's (husbands) parents house for the holiday like they do every year.

 That doesn't happen this year. With an arguement left in the wind of Neal and the girls departure, she is left with Seth (Seth) to close the deal and have their example ready. One reason or another she ends up staying at her mothers, and pulls out her old phone from when her Neil started dating when she lived there, and that is where the story takes flight.

I really loved all the voices in this book. It actually made me once more comfortable with adult fiction. Adult Fic and I have been on a stand off for a couple years, but with Ms. Rowell's unique voice and pacing, it makes me think that maybe I should try again.

I loved how she, even though she was a hard working momma, still tried to be active in her childrens life, yet we saw the struggles of not being able to commit completely. From what I have seen from friends of mine that work and have kids, it's like having two full time jobs, but not being able to figure out which is more important at the present moment.

The interactions between her and 'Past' Neil are amazing. So much love and depth that even trancends the years from past to present. Every time I read something from their past, or just her talking to him on the phone reminded me of my fiance and I. The only difference is that I connected with them moreso in the 'past' and on the phone then their present tense.

The only thing I could find that I did not like was her relationship with Seth, but for personal reasons. He is a very well made character, but it didn't make me dislike him less. To me personally, he was too demanding, pushy and just a plain old snot bucket. I did not like a thing about him. If it was me, I either would have pushed him away a long time ago, or cold clocked him by then. Let me note that I am not a violent person either.

Over all, an amazing read that I see myself re-reading around Christmas. Ms. Rowell knows how to really transend genres and just spread the love, hatred, and pure raw emotions everywhere she goes with writing.

My Rating: 5/5

Would I/Who would I recommend it (too):

Anyone looking for a glimpse into something they may or may not be familiar with. Someone who may be dealing with similar problems. Or just over all anyone. Not quite for anyone under the age of 17, and 17 is pushing it a bit unless they are children with parents in a similar boat.

Goodreads Link:

Click here for the link.


0 comments: