Books I have currently read and are up for review:

  • Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
  • Defy by Sara B. Larson
  • Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick
  • Kid Presidents by David Stabler
  • The List by Siobhan Vivian
  • SAGA VOL. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
  • Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
  • Invisible Monsters REMIX by Chuck Palahniuk
  • Scary Book Volume 1: Reflections by Kazuo Umezu
  • Crank by Ellen Hopkins
  • Everbound by Brodi Ashton
  • Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
  • Pretty Girl-13 by Liz Coley
  • In The After by Demitria Lunetta
  • Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Follow me on BlogLovin!

Popular Posts

Book Reviews

This is where book reviews will be linked.

Reisa Reads News & Updates

Update Blogs and Vlogs, news about /r/bookies and random updates!

Reisa Rants

My policies

Insert random policies pages.
Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Title: The Fault in Our Stars

Author: John Green

Series: No.

Age range: I would say 14 and up.

Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Would I recommend it to anyone: This should be required reading.

Description on Goodreads: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

 

Review:

 


Okay, I actually finished this almost a month ago.  I have been stalling making a review, well, because...

 

THAT IS HOW LONG IT TOOK TO RECOVER FROM THIS BOOK. 

 

Dear GOD, this book is something completely out of left field. I was expecting:

 

1. Over hyped drivel. (After [redacted], it hard to believe anything that is OMG POPULAR is actually not just the same story with generic characters, some authors wet dream or just what seems like a fan fiction of someone elses characters with slap of a new name.

2. Standard YA Lit.

3. Just some random book, might be good but not DROP EVERTHING AND CRY FOR A MONTH

And finally...

4. Not life changing.

 

 

I WAS DEAD WRONG.

 

After having like, 10 people tell me to read this book over a few months time, I finally decided to finally reach over, grab it off my shelf and read it.

 

At first? I kind of disliked Hazel. Not gonna lie. She seemed kind of dry. But, in her circumstances, who wouldn't be? I really was hesitant to read it when I saw the fact it was a "cancer book". Cancer is something very touchy with me. So, picking this up and reading it was hard for me. So, for valentines day, I was given no choice haha. A friend got me the book. So I stared at it. For days. Weeks. Months. Until another friend reminded me that I needed to read it. Again, due to what the book contains, I was kind of hesitant to start.

 

But when I did... Well.

 

After getting to know Hazel through the book, she is definately more than a cancer patient. The book really isn't a cancer book. It's more of a " oh yeah, she has cancer. Lets see what her and Augustus are up too. "

 

Speaking of Augustus... Whew. I have never fell for a book character as fast as him. He was far from you typical book main protaginist. he was... his own thing. A " cancer kid " himself, he was far from showing it. Lively, adventurous and charming. Something that I wish most kids these days were.

John Green really must have thought long and hard on these two. They honestly will be names that stick with me my whole life. 

 

I don't want to put any spoilers, but I will say this: DO NOT SKIM. DO NOT SKIP ANYTHING BECAUSE YOU THINK IT IS BORING(not that I did, but I know people who do. -_-). EVERYTHING IS VERY IMPORTANT. EVERY DETAIL.


This book truly is something I think should be required reading. Something for the ages, and that I will be sharing with others. 

 

I will end with this quote"

 

"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations."

 

My Rating: 10/10

 

Goodreads Link:

 

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11870085-the-fault-in-our-stars

 

Image

9 comments:

Aman said...

After reading your review about this book, I think I am to read it and have this in my reading list!

reisareads said...

Why thank you! It really is a life changing book!

Aman said...

Also, thanks for visiting my blog! :)

reisareads said...

Thank you too! :D

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Therine is dying to read... said...

[…] The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (reisareads.wordpress.com) […]

Expat Bostonians said...

This book destroyed me. I’ll be reviewing it on Be Quiet! Mommy’s Reading… just before the movie comes out so I can do a book/movie comparison.
If they screw up the movie I will be kicked out of the theater because I don’t think I’ll be able to restrain myself from screaming and throwing things.

reisareads said...

So will I. This IS my most anticipated movie release. John Green apparently was on set a lot so I have high hopes.


if this gets messed up I will toss my soda at screen. D:

Expat Bostonians said...

Yes, JG was on set a lot, and he tweeted that he was really happy with it, so I have hopes. I just can’t deal if they ruin it.
BTW if you’re new to JG’s books, read An Abundance of Katherines and Looking for Alaska. I like a lot of his stuff, but those are my favorites.
I’m also a huge fangirl for “Let it Snow” which is an antho with Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle which center on the same event but each tells a different (but connecting story)–it’s a unique way to set up an antho and it really works. It’s an annual xmas reread for me.

reisareads said...

I own them all except Katherine's, I have been waiting until I have them all and was going to binge read them and finish off with a delightful reread of TFioS. :) But you cemented which two are going to be first to read. I am also very happy to hear that about Let It Snow! I have heard such good things about it!